Sunday, December 10, 2006

Christmas Traditions - #1


We got our Christmas tree on Saturday. Since we live in the heart of the big city, there was no tramping through Santa's forest to cut down a tree for us. It's always more like driving through Satan's traffic jam!

I have this "gift" for always finding the perfect tree. An example: one year I actually bypassed all the trees they already had unwrapped and standing for inspection and walked to the back of the lot where the trees-in-waiting are all bundled and piled up. I picked one off the pile and made the tree-lot-guy unwrap it so I could see it. He opened it up and - it didn't even move. It was so cold that the tree was actually frozen into shape. It didn't matter, though, because I KNEW this was the one. We brought it home and set it up to warm and "fluff" up. Not only was it the perfect shape (not even one bare spot), but there was a bird's nest in it! Of course, we left the nest as an ornament.

The perfect tree this year was probably only perfect to me. It looked like it had been forgotten in the back corner of the tree lot and cut as an accident. It was about 14' tall (we have 9' ceilings), spindly, and was obviously never shaved into the commercially-perfect triangle shape. It was, as the tree-lot-guy described it, a "Charlie Brown" tree. Of course we bought it. My husband has learned never to question my decision when I pick a tree; it wouldn't do any good. Once I get my heart set on a tree we could spend another hour and we'd still go home with that same one.

We had to take about a foot off the bottom and another 4 feet off the top just to get it into the living room. The angel will stand nestled in the upper branches instead of perched on the top. Still, it doesn't matter. For this year, at this time, this is the perfect tree. They always are.

No comments: