Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Aftermath


We woke up to nearly 12” of fresh snow this morning (actually, we measured 11” in the back yard, but a FOOT OF SNOW sounds so much more impressive). Normally on a Sunday morning we hang around in bed, reading the paper and drinking our coffee, and listening to the “ocean waves” sound effect on my new sound machine. We call this “Coffee and paper on the beach” (joking, of course, since it’s below freezing outside). It’s lovely and relaxing, and I look forward to it all week.

Today that was not to be.... we woke up to this! I glanced at the paper, we downed a quick cup of coffee, and bundled up. Two hours and about a million shovels-full later we were finished. Our younger son shoveled the sidewalk for the young widow next door. We all then shoveled out our sidewalk and the driveway in the back. We were about 1/3 done with the driveway across the alley when the owner opened the garage door holding his shovel. I think he was surprised... so was the young woman my husband helped get her car dug/pushed out of the mess you see in the photo. She was also surprised when later we went to her door to warn her that her car was parked in an area that was about to be plowed. Everyone said we were such "nice neighbors" as if they just couldn't believe that people would bother to help them out.... but isn't that what we're supposed to do? I mean, if I'm supposed to "do unto others as I'd have them do unto me," then how could I NOT help? If I were the person in any one of those situations I'd certainly hope for the same help we gave today. Isn't it just what a person does?
.....maybe the really sad thing is that they were all so surprised by normal human kindness and consideration. What does that say about us?

No comments: