Thursday, March 22, 2007

How to plan for vacation


We're heading off for Spring Break. I know there are people who prefer to wait until the last minute, throw things into a suitcase, and just head out. I am not one of them. As with most parts of my life, I prefer to not only plan in advance, but I like to plan for every possible contingency and pack for it if possible. A few years ago I actually came up with a master packing list. It is an Excel spreadsheet, of course, making it easy to add, delete, change the font, reformat, and alphabetize as needed (and yes, sometimes alphabetizing is needed, just on general principle).


As part of the advance planning, I make sure my entire house is cleaned (vacuumed, dusted, dishes washed and put away, clean sheets, garbage out) before we leave. The way I see it, the end of vacation is stressful enough without coming home to a mess and a long list of work. I'd much rather come home and still be able to relax for a bit! To that same end, I like to try to plan for meals for at least the first day back. After one-too-many stops at the store on the way home from the airport I decided that there had to be a better way.


Today I picked up some milk (with an expiration date AFTER our return home). I also picked up some school lunch necessities. I've got a dozen fresh-baked cookies in the freezer waiting. I'm also baking and freezing some banana chocolate chip muffins so breakfast that first day will already be handled. I know it might seem crazy to someone who's never done it, but it makes my vacation better just knowing that I won't have to panic when we get home -- there's no milk! there's nothing for breakfast! what am I going to take for lunch?


If you just try it one time - just ONE vacation where you do a little advance planning - I know you'll agree with me. As with any thing else in life, a little planning and forethought can make all the difference.


Bon voyage!

No comments: