Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Lemon Bars

Yes, from scratch. They're not that hard, really.

Lemon Bars (thanks to my Great-Aunt Violet)

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup cold butter
½ cup powdered sugar
cut all together with a pastry blender (or knife and fork)
press into 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes

Filling:
4 eggs – VERY well beaten
2 cups sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ cup lemon juice
lemon zest (grated lemon rind)
1 tsp baking powder
mix together and pour over hot crust (as soon as it is done baking)

return pan to oven and bake about 25 minutes. Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
(note: I tried making about 2/3 the crust and cutting the sugar to 1 ½ cups in the filling. I loved it because it make the lemon flavor stronger, but my family did not – they thought it seemed too sour. I guess it depends on what you like).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH LEMON BARS-LOVE AMY