Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Using your skills

You often see articles about using your “home” skills to translate to “job” skills, but it’s never the other way. I’m not sure why – every day I find a work-life skill that I can adapt to life at home. For example, I’ve used my Excel knowledge to set up packing lists, pre- and post-vacation to-do lists, and even my grocery list. I use Word for letters and information and school notes. I use PowerPoint to help my kids get homework assignments put together (great for those BIG reports). I’ve even used my scanner to help prepare projects and to save copies of reports (in case the teacher loses something).

This week I’ve taken advantage of the problem-solving skills I learned in a Supervision class to help my younger son organize and plan a school project…. And at least once every day I have to use negotiation when dealing with the kids’ arguments and detailed planning to get everything done in the time I have (between the time they leave and the time they return). So far it’s working very well – I manage to get everything done and cleaned and every errand run, and I’ve never not been home when the first one got off the bus.

Yep – work is great practice for real life. I should probably write them a thank-you note….

1 comment:

sunshinethief said...

You crack me up - you're the Queen of Organization!